John David Johnson was initiated into Freemasonry in the Commercial Lodge No.1391 on 26th October 1894. He was one of the Founders of the Wyggeston Lodge No.3448 in 1910 and was the first Director of Ceremonies and was installed as Master in 1912. He was subsequently Almoner of the Lodge from 1913 to 1919 and Treasurer from 1924 to 1926 and then took the Master’s chair again in 1932.
In Provincial Grand Lodge he was appointed Grand Superintendent of Works in 1907 reaching the position of Senior Grand Warden in 1915. In 1920, W.Bro Johnson was appointed Treasurer to the Leicestershire and Rutland Masonic Charity Association and become Secretary in 1926. He also acted twice as Provincial Charity Steward to the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution and was a Life Governor of the Freemasons’ Hospital and Nursing Home at Ravenscourt Park.
In 1934, at the April meeting of the Wyggeston Lodge, the Worshipful Master of Commercial Lodge presented, on behalf of both the Wyggeston Lodge and Commercial Lodge, to W.Bro. Johnson his Grand Lodge clothing upon attaining the rank of Past Grand Standard Bearer (England) in the Grand Lodge.
W.Bro. Johnson died on the 8th January 1943 after an illustrious Masonic career.