Frederick William Billson LLB.Lond. was Initiated into Freemasonry in the Commercial Lodge No.1391, Leicester, on 31st May 1889 in his early 30’s and after serving in subordinate offices was Installed as Master on 30th April 1897. He was a Founder and first Inner Guard of the Lodge of Research No.2429 and was Installed a Master on 26th September 1896. In September 1901, he was elected Treasurer of the Lodge, an office to which he was annually elected until September 1912. He was also a Founder and first Master of the Wyggeston Lodge No.3448 in 1910 and acted as Director of Ceremonies from 1912 to 1919. In Provincial Grand Lodge, WBro Billson was appointed Registrar in 1898 and Senior Warden in 1905.
From 1892 to 1912 he was the honorary Secretary and Treasurer of the Leicestershire and Rutland Masonic Charity Association. He was also, for a number of years, elected annually to represent his Mother Lodge as Preceptor to the Union Lodge of Instruction and on the Committee of the Old Masonic Hall in Halford Street. He was also the Chairman of the Committee of the Leicester Freemasons’ Hall Library and Museum from 1921 until his death in 1946.
WBro Billson was a regular and whole-hearted supporter of the Masonic Charities, having served 17 Stewardships and on two occasions acted as Charity Steward of the Province. He was a Vice-Patron of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls, Vice-President of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution and the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys.
He died on 6th March 1946 at the age of 81 years having been deemed a ‘gentleman’ and a man who lived up to the principals and tenets of the Craft.